Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute invites applicants to apply for Strategic Information Internship / graduates programme for 2020.
Internship Application Closing date: 24 August 2020
Internship Location: Parktown
Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute is looking 2 X Strategic
Information Internships who will work with the Senior Advisor for Strategic information to utilize routine programme data to better understand public health issues affecting sex workers and transgender communities across South Africa.
He/she will conduct analyses of routine programme data to understand epidemiological risk factors, and to identify gaps and strengths in programming. There may be opportunities to co-author conference abstracts or journal articles based on the findings.
Key performance areas
• Data capturing and data cleaning for research and strategic information projects in Google Sheets, Excel, or REDCap.
• Conduct descriptive data analysis in Excel (means, ratios), inferential statistics (odds ratios, Chi-squared, etc.) in STATA or other statistical software.
• Draft key findings and recommendations in project brief, research abstract format.
• Present key findings to project staff and stakeholders.
Required minimum education and training
• Bachelor’s degree in public health, data analytics, or related field.
• Basic understanding of HIV programmes.
• Strong Excel skills.
Required minimum work experience
• No work experience required (working experience would be an added advantage)
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
• Masters degree student preferred.
• Knowledge of biostatistics methods and experience with STATA/SPSS/R etc.
• Comfortable with working with sex worker key populations.
• Experience working in a donor-funded organisation or NGO.
• Exceptional organization and administrative skills with working knowledge of
• Able to maintain confidentiality, tact and professionalism at all times.
• Able to exercise discretion, high levels of initiative ad independent
• Must be assertive, confident and adaptable.
• Self-motivated, able to work independently and work as part of a
• A thorough and accurate approach to work.
• Excellent communication skills.
How to apply
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please submit (1.) a
cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for and (2.) a detailed CV to: Puleng Makau at [email protected] Subject Heading of email must read: Advert reference number: PM045 – 2020, Job Title and location of position applied for.
Those applicants that do not adhere to the above will not be considered for the respective position applied for.